Whiplash can be painful and hinder our daily activities. But good physiotherapy treatment can definitely cure it.
Accidents can cause many types of injuries, and the most common one is whiplash. It is a neck injury caused due to forceful or rapid back and forth movement of the neck. In most of the cases, it is caused by rear-end car accidents.
Car accidents are a common cause of this injury, but it can also result from physical abuse, a sudden fall, any sports accidents such as bungy jumping, etc.
In this article, you will know about how physiotherapists can help in the successful treatment of Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries in Calgary.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is an abrupt forward and back movement/force on the neck. It just doesn’t affect the neck area only but also has an impact on bones, nerves, muscles, joints, discs, and ligaments.
Before the contrivance of cars, this injury was noticed due to the collisions of trains. The origin of this was seen in around 1919, and since then, the cases have risen sharply.
Causes and Symptoms of Whiplash
As we all know, the leading cause of whiplash is the sudden movement of the neck resulting from automobile accidents, sports accidents. It takes some time to develop symptoms, which may also vary from person to person. Here are some of them listed below:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Tenderness or pain in the shoulder
- Headaches, especially at the base of the skull
- Difficulty in concentrating
Physiotherapy treatment for Whiplash
You should go to the Physiotherapy Centre in Calgary as soon as possible so that you can be provided with a proper treatment plan to cure your Whiplash.
Some effective treatment methods for MVA are as follows:
- Exercise for flexibility, strength, and good posture– this will help you to become more flexible, become more powerful by strengthening your muscles, and provide you a good posture.
- Get yourself educated about the injury: what it is, how can it be cured?
- Most importantly, try to act normal and continue your daily routine– panic in any situation is never useful, behave normal, continue your work, this will distract your attention towards pain, and you will feel better.
- Medication to relieve your muscles tension and assist your pain.
- Electrotherapy for early healing and pain relief.
- Acupuncture or dry needling– will provide you early healing.
- Joint mobilization or joint manipulation to loosen the stiffness of joints- the less your joints are stiff, the better it is for you.
- Psychologists advise– listen to their advice and follow the instructions for healing.
- For short term muscles, physiotherapists help in tension relief and provide soft tissue massage.
You don’t have to panic regarding this injury. It can take time from a few days to several months to reinstate.
Similar to the symptoms, recovery time can also vary from person to person. Credence Physiotherapy is the best Physiotherapy Clinic Calgary that is best for MVA rehabilitation. You should surely choose to opt for it in case you have whiplash.